Office Insurance - Housekeeping Tips To Reduce Workplace Injury
An office is generally regarded as a safe working environment, however, during busy times, some working areas can quickly become a cluttered mess!
Files and supplies can pile up or be left in dangerous locations leaving the workplace looking more like obstacle course, as walking from one area to another would mean navigating through a mess of obstructions. Such issues are not only be aggravating and counterproductive; but also very dangerous.
Slips, trips and falls are a common cause of injury in the workplace, and inadequate housekeeping is a major factor in most of these accidents, leading to costly Employers Liability claims under your Office Insurance policy.
What is Housekeeping?
Avoiding dangerous conditions like those described above requires a commitment to housekeeping by every individual in your team. This means making spill clean-up, rubbish removal, general cleaning and good methods of organisation a priority every day and throughout the day.
Good office housekeeping also means constant vigilance. Remove any object or material that obstructs a pathway on the floor and take care of other materials that could pose a possible fire hazard or danger for co-workers. This includes:
- Power cables or phone charging leads
- Empty containers
- Food waste, containers or lunch boxes
- Water or spills
Best Practice Tips
Follow these housekeeping tips to keep yourself and your co-workers safe:
- Never obstruct pathways with power or phone cables, as they could pose a tripping hazard.
- Store personal items out of the way in your desk – never on the floor, or better still adopt a clear desk policy.
- Place ‘wet floor’ signs in areas that could present a slipping hazard, and remove them when the area is dry.
- Always keep pathways free of clutter and obstructions.
Things to Avoid
When practising good housekeeping, there are several things you should avoid:
- Do not leave clean-up for the last few minutes of the day; instead, take care of clutter immediately after completing a task.
- Never pile material around fire extinguishers, sprinklers or emergency exits.
- Take extra care with portable heating devices, checking operating instructions carefully and place away from walkways.
Clear Desks Equal Clear Minds!
Not only does housekeeping keep everyone safe and avoid Office Insurance claims, it also helps people feel better about our jobs which reduces stress levels and improves productivity.
FREE Business Insurance Review
Insync Insurance specialises in all areas of professional risks, we can Compare Office Insurance from 5+ Insurers in minutes, including Public and Employers Liability as well as Professional Indemnity if required.
You can request a quote online, alternatively, why not book a free business insurance review with one of our expert Gurus who can ensure you obtain the right level of cover at the right price.
- What's missing from your serviced office lease? Office Insurance!
- Do I Need Professional Indemnity Insurance?
- Office Insurance Tips - How To Prevent Employee Theft in Your Firm
About the Author
I’m passionate about family, sport, technology and business.
In fact, I have always been fascinated by business, whether it was running the school tuck-shop or my Saturday job in the local store, I was always looking for ways to improve or view things differently.
I have enjoyed an amazing career fast approaching 25 years in the insurance industry, which has given me real insight into the challenges and opportunities faced by SME businesses in today’s ever-evolving marketplace.
I co-founded Insync Insurance, to offer companies a new way to buy and manage their business insurance. A synergy of digital servicing and personal expertise - utilising the latest technology to enhance relationships, not to replace them.